In 1993 we saw the recently restored “Tuiga” that had belonged to the Duke of Medinaceli in 1909. The following year she took part in our regatta staged in the Principality of Monaco. We realized that we had lost out. The Monegasque Yacht Club, well advised by Eric Tabarly, had bought her and made her their flagship.
We knew that “Tuiga” was the sister ship of the “Hispania” and that she had been designed by William Fife, by order of AlfonsoXIII, in 1909.
With limited funds but determined not to loose out, we went to West Mersea, a large beach in the south east of England, where the “Hispania” was been used as a floating home.
We managed to purchase her, and since then we have applied for all the help available and taken every opportunity to do so that has crossed our path.